Royal Caribbean International has announced that Wonder of the Seas, the latest evolution of the revolutionary Oasis Class, will set sail from Shanghai and Hong Kong, China in 2022 on thrilling 4- to 9-night adventures through the Far East to the best of Japan and more. Currently, under construction in Saint-Nazaire, France, Wonder will be the world’s largest cruise ship and the first of its kind to call China home when it arrives in March 2022. The ship’s inaugural season cruises are now open for bookings.
On the horizon for vacationers with their sights on a getaway aboard Wonder are visits to popular destinations in Asia. Between March and November, guests can sail roundtrip from Shanghai to Japan, where they can immerse themselves in the local sights and sounds. From pleasing their palate in Osaka, to exploring the nation’s oldest official residence in Fukuoka, to tasting the best beef in Kobe and enjoying the natural scenery of the islands of Okinawa, all senses can be fulfilled on these culture-rich itineraries. The combination of ports of call to choose from also include Tokyo, Mount Fuji, Kumamoto, Kagoshima, Ishigaki and Miyazaki, Japan.
Wonder will transition to warmer climates and homeport in Hong Kong, November 2022 through January 2023, to offer highly anticipated Christmas and New Year’s holiday sailings to several ports of call. Part of the destination lineup are Chan May, Vietnam; Busan and Jeju, South Korea; Kochi and Okinawa, Japan; and Taipei, China.
“China continues to be one of the most important parts of the world for Royal Caribbean. We have won the trust of our partners and the favor of travelers and built on that significantly since we first set sail 12 years ago. By introducing Wonder of the Seas and the iconic Oasis Class to China, our strong commitment to the market’s growth is reaffirmed yet again for years to come,” said Michael Bayley, president and CEO, Royal Caribbean International.
“It will be a remarkable moment to see years of partnership realized when the industry’s newest, most innovative ship becomes Shanghai’s new city skyline and takes cruise travel beyond imagination.”
Wonder is the fifth ship in Royal Caribbean’s renowned Oasis Class. With a gross tonnage of 236,857, the ship is 362 meters long and 64 meters wide, and it features a total of 18 decks and 2,867 staterooms to accommodate up to 6,988 guests. On deck for travelers of all ages are the signature amenities the world’s largest and unmatched ships are known for since they first revolutionized cruising more than a decade ago, including the unique neighborhood concept.
Wonder will be the first of its kind to be designed with eight neighborhoods, introducing the new Suite Neighborhood alongside returning favorites Central Park, the open-air AquaTheater, sporting a new look and where jaw-dropping, high-diving acrobatic and aquatic performances take place; Ultimate Abyss, the tallest slide at sea; and a 25-meter zip line 10 decks above the Boardwalk neighborhood.
Eight Distinct Neighborhoods & Highlights
- Central Park – The first living park at sea, home to more than 20,000 plants — not to mention some of the fleet’s most coveted specialty restaurants and high-end boutiques. Travelers can unwind in one of the many nooks tucked away in this open-air oasis during the day or drop by in the evening for live music under the stars.
- Boardwalk – Family friendly fun abounds on Boardwalk, a stretch at the end of the ship that is outside and always buzzing with activity. The can’t-miss features and experiences include twin rock-climbing walls, a classic carousel and deck-defying AquaTheater shows.
- Pool & Sports Zone – It is all about the action in this neighborhood. Travelers can catch waves on the fan-favorite FlowRider, soak up rays in any one of the pools and whirlpools, soar while on the 10-deck-high zip line, and brave a 10-story plunge down Ultimate Abyss. Friends, old and new, and families can also go head-to-head on the basketball or volleyball courts or tee off in a round of mini golf.
- Entertainment Place – Where world-class performers light up the stage night after night in headline shows and original productions at the Royal Theater, breathtaking ice-skating spectaculars and more. Travelers can even choose to brave the stage themselves at Spotlight Karaoke by belting out their favorite tunes in front of a live audience.
- Royal Promenade – The pulsing heart of the ship, where shopping, dining and entertainment come together. In the morning, guests can drop by for a cup of tea or coffee. As the day goes on, they can watch and dance as the signature neighborhood comes alive with pop-up musicians and performers.
- Vitality Spa & Fitness Center – Here is the place to charge up the day or recharge the spirit. The dedicated spa and fitness center offers a lineup of dynamic exercise classes within the full-scale gym and indulgent spa treatments designed for the ultimate in relaxation. It’s also home to Vitality Café, which serves up a menu of light and tasty fare like nutrient-rich smoothies and fresh sandwiches.
- Youth Zone – Even the littlest explorers will find plenty of adventure just for them. Home to the award-winning Adventure Ocean youth program and a nursery for infants and toddlers, this colorful, action-packed area is full of innovative common spaces, educational activities, games and other thrills. Young adults have their dedicated teens spaces too, where adults and younger kids can’t cramp their style.
- Suite Neighborhood – Wonder is the first Oasis Class ship with an eighth neighborhood – one just for suite guests. The new neighborhood provides a private experience like no other, featuring world-class dining, a new sun deck for unparalleled ocean views, a private lounge and restaurant and much more. Moreover, loved ones can make it the getaway of a lifetime when they book the expansive and beloved Ultimate Family Suite.